Consequences of a Criminal Conviction
If you are convicted of a criminal offense in Richmond, VA, you face both immediate and long-term consequences. First, you will likely face the prospect of a sentence imposed by the court for your conviction. Depending on the severity and grading of your crime, your sentence may include punishments and obligations such as:
- Jail or prison time
- Court costs
- Financial restitution to the victim(s) of your crime
- Community service hours
- Domestic violence counseling
- Alcohol and substance abuse counseling
In some cases, a person may receive probation instead of jail or prison time. Probation allows you to go free during the suspended portion of your sentence but requires you to observe certain restrictions and obligations imposed by the court such as drug testing and regular check-ins with a probation officer. Violating the terms of probation may result in the court requiring you to serve out the jail or prison sentence that the court initially ordered you to serve. The violation also goes on your record.
Even after you have completed your sentence, you may continue to face consequences from your conviction long after you have been released from jail or prison. Unfortunately, a criminal record can negatively impact personal and professional opportunities. It could cause you to lose your job or make it difficult to find new employment. Depending on the specific crime for which you were convicted, you may even become legally ineligible for certain jobs.
A criminal record can make it difficult to get approved for rental housing or to be accepted into higher educational programs. A criminal history could also make it difficult to get loans or other credit. If you must pay fines, costs, or restitution, you could face major financial stress.
How a Richmond Criminal Defense Attorney Can Take the Pressure Off You
The consequences of a criminal conviction can last a long time. That’s why it is critical to get assistance from an experienced, straightforward Richmond criminal defense attorney. Samantha Upton can help you by:
- Providing an honest assessment of the potential outcomes in your case and of all legal options available to you to avoid or mitigate the severity of a conviction
- Bringing many years of experience with different types of criminal cases to your corner – from traffic citations to high-level felonies
- Ensuring you get treated with respect, compassion, and professionalism because you deserve nothing less when you work with a respected criminal defense attorney in Richmond
- Offering financial certainty by quoting you a flat fee for your case (your case will never cost more than that, no matter what happens)
- Vigorously protecting your rights and interests throughout your case, whether representing you in plea negotiations or at trial
- Helping you to seek relief from the long-term consequences of an arrest through expungement of your record (if eligible)
With attorney Samantha Upton, you will never need to face the criminal justice system in Virginia alone. She has dedicated her legal career to fighting for her clients and tirelessly pursuing the best possible outcome in their criminal cases.
Talk to a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Richmond Now
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime in Richmond, you need to act quickly to protect your freedom and future from the consequences of a conviction. Contact Upton Law, PLLC today to schedule a free, confidential consultation with a Richmond criminal defense lawyer.