Traffic Violation Lawyer in Emporia
Were you pulled over and cited for a traffic offense in Emporia, Virginia? Do not assume that you should simply pay a fine. You may face additional consequences, including points on your record, license suspension, and even jail time.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may have factual and legal defenses available to seek a reduction or dismissal of your ticket or charges.
If you are facing charges for a traffic violation, turn to Upton Law, PLLC, for help. Reach out to Emporia traffic offense defense attorney Samantha Upton for a free initial case review. Samantha is ready to discuss your legal options for fighting the charges you’re facing. She works with clients throughout Virginia as well as out-of-state drivers who have been ticketed in the Emporia area.
Why You Need an Emporia Traffic Offense Lawyer
If you have received a traffic ticket or a court summons, you do not have to simply plead guilty, pay the fine, and accept the consequences. Emporia traffic offense lawyer Samantha Upton can help you pursue a favorable outcome in your case by:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts and circumstances of the charges to identify possible defenses
- Offering you honest, tailored legal advice so that you know what to expect during the legal process, understand your options, and appreciate the realistic potential outcomes of your case
- Listening to your concerns to build a defense strategy based on your specific needs
- Using extensive legal experience and a proven track record of results to fight for the best possible outcome of your case
- Appearing in court for you, so you don’t have to deal with the travel, expense, and stress of going to court
- Representing you on a flat-fee basis so you can afford the legal help you need at a price you can afford
Traffic Offenses We Handle in Emporia
Emporia traffic violation lawyer Samantha Upton can help you when you are facing citations or charges involving:
- Aggressive driving
- Reckless driving
- Failure to maintain control (a form of reckless driving)
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Eluding (a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances)
- Driving with a suspended license
- Driving with no license
- Fail to yield
- Improper lane change
- Fail to stop at a stoplight
- Following too closely
- Hit and run
Potential Consequences of Traffic Convictions in Emporia
If you plead guilty or are convicted of a traffic offense in Emporia, you may face a wide range of consequences, depending on the type of offense. First, you almost certainly will be assessed a fine, plus court costs. Fines can be as much as several hundred dollars, depending on the offense.
In addition, a conviction for a traffic violation will usually result in demerit points on your driving record if you are licensed to drive by Virginia or another state with a point system.
Under Virginia’s point system, you may receive three, four, or six points depending on the specific violation. Points remain on your record for two years. You can receive one safe driving point every year you stay offense-free or five safe driving points if you complete a driver improvement clinic. Accumulating too many demerit points can result in the court ordering you to attend a safe driving clinic or suspending or revoking your driver’s license.
More serious traffic offenses may cause you to be charged with a criminal offense. If a traffic offense involves the injury or death of another person, you may even be charged with a felony. Conviction on a criminal offense may lead to the potential for jail or prison time, in addition to having a criminal record that can make it difficult for you to get work, housing, or educational opportunities.
Help for Out-of-State Drivers Who Got a Ticket in Emporia
Since Interstate 95 runs through town, many motorists who receive tickets or summonses due to traffic violations in Emporia are out-of-state drivers who are merely visiting or passing through Virginia. Many sections of this major interstate are noted for having law enforcement speed traps looking for speeding motorists and other motor vehicle code violations.
Upton Law, PLLC, often represents out-of-state drivers. Attorney Samantha Upton understands the anxiety and stress you might be experiencing while facing a traffic ticket or summons in another state. She can help you understand your legal options and handle all the details of your case so that you might not need to incur the time and expense of traveling back to Virginia just to resolve your ticket.
Specifically, Samantha can provide you with the following benefits if you were ticketed while visiting or driving through Emporia:
- Helping you understand the potential outcomes of your case, including what consequences you may face in your home jurisdiction if you plead guilty or are convicted on your citation
- Investigating potential defenses and vigorously negotiating with local prosecutors to get your charges reduced or dismissed if possible
- Appearing in court on your behalf, which for many kinds of traffic offenses will mean you do not need to spend time and money to come back to Virginia to appear in person
How Much Does It Cost to Have a Traffic Offense Lawyer in Emporia?
When you speak with Emporia traffic violation lawyer Samantha Upton about your ticket or charges, you will be quoted a flat fee for how much it will cost to hire her for your case. A flat fee means you will never need to worry about running up costs every time you talk with your lawyer or if you decide to contest your ticket or charges.
You can have peace of mind knowing how much it will cost to hire Emporia traffic violation defense attorney Samantha Upton so you have one less uncertainty causing you stress as you deal with your ticket or charges.
Talk to Our Experienced Emporia Defense Lawyer Today
Do not assume that ignoring a traffic ticket will make it go away. A conviction for many traffic offenses can expose you to fines, loss of driving privileges, and other serious consequences. Get the legal help you need to defend your interests. Contact Samantha now for a free, confidential consultation.